D&AD: Little White Lies

Tuesday 29 May 2012

Back in March I entered the D&AD Student Awards Illustration brief.
This year it was Little White Lies, and the task was straightforward - illustrate a Little White Lies cover based on one of their 5 favourite films of 2011.

I chose Black Swan.

'Black Swan' [Acrylics, Inks & Pencil on HeavyWeight Paper]

The image represents Natalie Portman's character Nina's transformation from the White Swan to the Black Swan, showing how the Black Swan was always within her, and the shattering of her face matching the shattering of her psyche.

Ok, and here's on super-dynamic photo of the cover
on an actual little white lies magazine, pages and everything:


Unfortunately my submission was unsuccessful. Looking back at the painting, I can see some things that probably didn't work in my favour, mainly the sidelining of the lettering, oh well.

I remember, I saw one of the eventual Black Swan winners on the internet before I even started this painting, and it's amazing I managed to convince myself to still take part after seeing it.
If you see it you'll know what I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment